I can’t wait to go to Ireland in April to do a search for my own roots. This year with Ireland promoting all of us to do the same, there are massive amounts of special events. Tourism Ireland has just come out with a fabulous video that has become an internet smash. So, you better book your flight soon…..I think they will fill up fast!
‘We’ve Saved you a Seat’ is clocking up over 580,000 views on YouTube since its launch.
The video, starring Irish comedian Andrew Maxwell, is a cheeky and humorous introduction to The Gathering by the film’s ‘hero’ Maxwell as he highlights various Gathering events – including the Redhead Convention, the Left-handed Festival, the Town of 1,000 Beards and the Messiah Gathering. It’s punchy and fast and full of humour (including Andrew Maxwell donning a Michael Flatley wig as he ‘Riverdances’ through Dublin’s famous cobbled streets in Temple Bar!) with Maxwell ably assisted by a supporting cast of hundreds all inviting the world to ‘be part of it’. Watch it here.
The Gathering is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of over 3,000 festivals, events and gatherings in all corners of country. Young or old there is a Gathering for everyone to enjoy with forthcoming highlights including:
· The Riverdance Festival, seven days of foot tapping fun from the world renowned Riverdance troop – including an attempt to break the world record at the longest Riverdance performance along the banks of Dublin’s River Liffey!
· 25 international sports tournaments with teams from Canada, the USA, UK and Europe competing.
· The unforgettable Redhead Convention, the Left-Handed Festival and Bog Snorkeling Championships!
· Choral Gatherings including The Messiah Gathering, Cork Choral Gathering and the inaugural Limerick Sings event.
· Arts, music and food festivals up and down the country from Kilkenny, to Waterford, to the isle of Inisboffin.
· Members of the tribes of Galway living in North America are invited to compete in an Oyster eating competition at next year’s Galway International Oyster and Seafood Festival.
· A special jazz Gathering at the Guinness Cork Jazz Festival with over 1,000 music students from around the world in Ireland for a weekend of free jazz education.
· Plus much, much more!
Watch the video here:
Share the video you’re your friends on Facebook using the app:
For further information about The Gathering visit:
Come and join me in Ireland…..you know you want to!